3-15-2014: Anchored out in the beautiful, clear blue water by Manjack Cay, Abaco, Bahamas

Friday, May 27, 2011

Thursday and Friday, May 26 and 27, 2011

Second Day in the New York Area:  We got every thing done yesterday so we devoted all day to seeing the sights of New York (Keith was a good boy!).  We took a tour of Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  I told Keith before we left not to take his knife because they had security before getting on the ferry, but he took it any way.  Well, I set alarms off as usual because of all my titanium.  Then when Keith went through they saw his knife and said he could do one of two things;  leave or lose his knife, so he said he would bring it back to the boat and we would take the next ferry.  By this time it had already taken us over an hour to get through the line.  Now we know how our ancestors felt when they came from the old country.  In about 5 minutes Keith was back and we got our place back in line (he hide his knife out side in a potted plant).  We enjoyed the tours but there had to be 10,000 school buses full of kids.  I couldn't believe the noise.  It was a nice day and the sun was shining but there was a "haze" over the whole city and it was hard to get a good picture.  At least we can say we have been there.  In the afternoon we took a water taxi across the canal into Manhattan and picked up a few things.  Wow!  A 12 pack of beer, a cheap bottle of booze, a 4 pack of Starbucks, and quart of milk came to $80.00 plus!  It's time to leave New York.  We did have a very nice meal tonight. 


CO's comments: I have carried my pocket knife with me half way around the world, through places like Heathrow, and never had a problem.  Now I want to board a ferry to see the Statue of Liberty and they won't let me board.  After what us veterans have given to this Country, I think it's a shame.  I realize their concerns but I think they are going to far overboard.  The next thing you will see are check points from one state to another.  It is crazy that we are letting a few fanatics ruin our Country.  I am glad I have left New York City and I will never go back and; besides, the people are rude.

New York City to Georges Island, NY:  We both had enough of New York and were ready to get going again.  It was sunny and 80 degrees by 07:30 as we headed up the Hudson River.  We saw an old PT Boat; Number 786, heading into the city.  It had been refurbished and was probably part of the Memorial Day celebration.  We had very heavy traffic until we reached the "George Washington Bridge" and then it calmed down quit a bit.  We are in a nice  little anchorage, a little wavy but is supposed to calm down by tonight.

CO's comments:  Boy am I glad to be off the Atlantic and out of New York City Harbor.  Finally a nice day to cruise on the river system.

N41.23138
W73.94088

View from our porch of Lady Liberty
View of Manhattan at night






Another view from our boat of Manhattan
Ellis Island






Statue of Liberty from our boat
USMC Osprey

No comments:

Post a Comment