3-15-2014: Anchored out in the beautiful, clear blue water by Manjack Cay, Abaco, Bahamas

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday, July 21, 2011

George Kemp Marina, Sault Ste Marie, MI to Anchorage/Tie-up at Lime Island State Park, MI:  We got back to Sault Ste Marie on Tuesday but yesterday the weather did not cooperate so we finally got going this morning.  My sister Sharon is doing Lake Michigan with us.  She is a big help and we are glad to have her.  We left this morning and went up 30 feet in the Canadian Lock and then we went out into Whitefish Bay/Lake Superior for a short while and then turned around and went down the US Locks on the way back.  We all felt that the workers at the Canadian Lock were much more friendly and helpful than the workers at the American Lock.  It was a beautiful day to be on the water.  We stopped at Lime Island State Park about an hour north of DeTour, MI.  There is a wall to tie up to for just $15.00 per night.  This is a very nice area with lots of trails for hiking, a museum house, an old school house, and the remains of the old lime kilns that were used from 1910 through 1961 when they closed.  We saw at least 12 Freighter (Lakers/Steamers) go by us today on the St. Mary's River; a very busy day.  My friend Joyce is the cook on the 1,004 foot Steamer, "American Spirit", and her husband is the Captains; cool!

Leaving the Canadian Lock on 7-21-2011
Entering Whitefish Bay/Lake Superior
Entering US Poe Lock
Leaving the US Poe Lock
Kim Jo III at tie up at Lime Island State Park, MI
One Room School House on Lime Island
Lime Kiln Ruins
View from the hill at Lime Island
One of the steamer/freighters that passed us on 7-21-2011

Steamers never stop; they pick up their supplies, mail, etc on the run

N46 05.269
W84 00.755

CO's comments:  I damn near got hit again while tied up at a dock.  If the dinghy had been up on the back of the boat they would have hit the dinghy.  Supposedly, the four aboard had just finished captains school!  Where the hell did they get their license from?

I have never been boarded in over 5,000 miles by the US Coast Guard but the other day I went for a ride in my dinghy and all of a sudden sirens were blowing, lights were flashing, so I stopped.  The US Coast Guard came along side and asked if I have ever been boarded and I looked up at them and said "No, not in my dinghy".  They wanted my registration and proof of ownership.  Luckily I had my life jacket with me but I didn't have a whistle so they gave me one.  I asked them if they did this often and they said no; but it had been pretty slow!

No comments:

Post a Comment